October 12, 2008

I've been busy

Since signing on to SNI 4 months ago I have been running around this country like a chicken with it's head cut off. I have never run so hard as I have here at SNI and I'm loving it. I was so used to shutting down for the night and taking 12hrs or more off (10hrs is required) because I was never in a rush. Lately with the exception of a few days, I've been leaving as soon as my 10hrs is up and running full 11hrs a day with only stopping once to fuel. Theres many days I do 750 miles a day and if it wasn't for the regulations that say I can't drive more than 11 hours, I would keep going. I get in those moods while listening to a CD cranked all the way up, the windows down and a clear road in front of me. If I could choose to drive all night long all the time I would. I've seen most of this country now and it's real beautiful and everything, but nothing beats the wide open road at night, all alone in the middle of nowhere. No 4 wheelers cutting me off or hiding in my blind spot. No stopping in traffic and usually the weight stations are closed. I enjoy staring at the trucks going the opposite way littered in LED lights on the truck and trailer, or the team drivers cruising on down the road with their bunk light on and a TV. I love my job and I don't ever want to do anything else. This is my home, the open road.


Pulled off along I-17 North in Flagstaff, AZ a couple weeks ago after getting my truck washed at the famous Danny's Truck Spa in Phoenix, AZ.







My dash all lit up at night.



I picked up a 2900 mile load from Otay Mesa (San Diego, the drop point for all Northbound loads from Mexico to California) and while heading to New Jersey, I stopped in Indianapolis for the night to meet up with Pat. He's the whole reason I came to Schneider and the reason I bought my Peterbilt 386. He has the same truck except green and his is all done up in chrome and special touches like pinstriping and new vinyl decals.









Another day comes to a close...



Anyone that knows me well, knows that I really like Trains. Well, I was sent to American freight car in Roanoke, VA a couple days ago and it was awesome. It is Norfolk Southerns repair facility and factory where they build new rail cars. It was loud with bells, sirens, horns and the sound of tools going off. Huge cranes were lifting up new hopper cars and moving them around the factory. I was fascinated by everything around me. I really wish I could of walked around to check things out...












An upside down hopper car frame fresh out of the paint shop...



A rainy ride of a twisty road in West Virginia, I think...






While unloading the rail parts I had picked up the day before, I was in St. Joeseph, MO at Herzog while these two choppers flew over. They sounded damn cool...



The leaves are changing in New Hampshire a couple weeks ago...




The rain stopped and the sun came out for just long enough to blind me... haha


I've come around this turn on Donner Pass 100's of times in my pickup and a lot in a big rig... Just never as fast as this...





To keep you happy until I update again, go on over to Bernies blog @ http://ihasablog.blogspot.com/ . He's back on the road running for TransX. He lives in Canada and runs down to USA and back up north. His updates are HUGE and very funny... Check it out!

Chris

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes Bernie is funny and the way he tells his stories through pictures is like no other blog I follow

Tracy said...

Good Job Buddy, Good Job!! :)
Bernie is going to love you for that, now he has to keep things updated because you told everyone about him lol
Stay safe BP, I'll see you in a few months!

Anonymous said...

Damn... You snuck through Phoenix and I didnt get to light you up for an inspection. ;) next time.... Glad to see you are loving it.. your truck is gorgeous.

Chris said...

Anon, send me an email @ truckerchris.blogspot.com

I wanna talk to you about rolling through Phoenix!!!

Javi said...

Hi,Chris!

I follow your blog from long ago,from the previous one!

Cool rig and awesome pics...which camera are you using for this?,I'm looking for a Nikon d80 or something like that...

See u on the road,drive safe and enjoy!

bernie said...

pat here too????? I cant get away from him :run: :mamoru:

Anonymous said...

Born to drive that BIG RIG, Big Guy!!!

M.

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog, Chris. Thanks for the info on trucking, too. I emailed you from CenVal, CA. Loved reading about your love of the road at night; I feel the same way!
Keep on trucking!

 
Site Meter