July 6, 2008

I moved on...

It's been almost a month since my last post and I've been up to a whole lot! For starters, I cleaned out my CFI truck 2 weeks ago in West Memphis, AR. CFI just didn't work out for me. I'm not going to bad mouth because I have spoken to quite a few current cfi drivers who are getting great miles and have no complaints but for me it wasn't so. I never hit it off with my driver manager and that was probably the biggest reason for me turning the truck in. I'm happy I drove for CFI and I don't regret it but it a shame it didn't work out.

Anyways, I have some HUUUUUUUUUUGE news. Many of you already know, but for those of you who don't....

I'm now driving for Schneider National. Yes, I am pulling an orange trailer behind me and I'm still running 48 states but theres a bit more to the story. I decided that after driving for GTI and CFI, that being told what to do and how to do and not having any control over anything was not for me. When you're a company driver, all you do is drive the truck and draw lines in your logbook. Usually you don't have any control of where you're going and how many miles you are getting weekly.

I made the jump that every single trucker has thought about and while many have done what I did, many have not. I am now an Owner Operator who is leasing my services (and truck) to Schneider National based out of Green Bay, WI. Schneider is the biggest Company in the United states with over 14,000 trucks and 40,000+ trailers. No matter where I am, whether it be a walmart Distribution center or a super small shipper, theres a bunch of orange Schneider trailers sitting there. That means they have one of the largest freight bases in all of trucking. More Customers = More Freight = Less sitting = Me being happy!!!

I purchased a 2007 Peterbilt 386 with 90,128 miles. Not a lot by truck standards as you can generally average 120,000+ miles each year. It's very clean and practically brand new inside. It's powered by a 475hp / 1650ft lbs tq Caterpillar engine mated to a Eaton 13spd transmission with 3.36 gears and 22.5LP tires. This truck SCREAMS!!! Although to run smart is to run slow. The faster I drive the more money I blow out my exhaust stack (wasted fuel). Anyways, there will be more talk later, but here's what everyone has been waiting for, the PHOTO'S!!!!!






This photo show's the color a lot better. It's called "Radiant Red" which is a Dark Red Metallic.



All the white lettering will be coming off and replaced with new different colored decals...



This is the best part of the whole truck. When you idle the engine for heating/AC/Power you waste a Gallon of fuel an hour. Since fuel prices are so high many people are specing their new trucks and adding these things to their older ones. It's an "APU" Auxiliary Power Unit which provides, heating, cooling and power at as little as 1/10th of a gallon an hour which is a savings of almost 50 bucks a night (10 hours). It runs off the trucks fuel tanks and coolant. It heats the coolant in the engine to make for nice starts of cold weather nights. It also has a thermostat controller in the sleeper that you can set the temp to your liking.



Sitting next to the river (photo below) off of US90 in Texas.







Coming into Moab, UT.




All alone heading into a Storm in New Mexico



Another late afternoon Summertime thunderstorm in the Mountains above Salt Lake City yesterday.



Time for bed, I have to get up at 2am to make my delivery in Auburn, WA by 7am. Since last saturday (8 days) I have ran 5196 miles... I'm really impressed with Schneider. They like to keep you running!!! I'm happy.

Chris

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So driving for the pumpkin. Are you going to be blogging on to pumpkin drivers.com. Also there is a owner operator who pulls a pumpkin wagon by the name of Pat he is on Hanks truck pics web site.

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!

But, time to come on home!

M.

Anonymous said...

This is defiantly a dream come true for you! Your happiness means the world to me and you deserve every bit of it!
I'll see you soon, be safe :)

Anonymous said...

Well.. it was nice knowing you!! LOL. Seriously though, congratulations! The only things I miss about trucking, are the things you blog about, and the pictures you post. I hope you get a good enough fuel surcharge, and enough miles to make a decent profit.. Now all you need is to buy more trucks!! Oh, and I'll be looking for you if you head through Phoenix.. and I'll still pull your ass over (now that I know exaclty what your rig looks like!!) ;)

Anonymous said...

So you made the change toschneider? as a lease operator no less. Good luck out there man, you will need it.

Anonymous said...

Is it YOUR truck and you are leasing on, or are you leasing the truck FROM schneider?

bernie said...

:noes:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow, I hope you did your research. I don't mean to sound like I'm being an ass, but of all those miles you ran, were they paid miles and was it legal. My best friends Brother in-law ran for schneider for 4 years as O/O and never made any money. He went over to landstar and made more his first year than his first 2 with Big Orange. Be very very careful with your expenses and don't trust everything to Schneider. It might be a good idea to have a cpa take care of your books for you.
The Apu will come in handy but be carefull, some states still will not let you use it cuz they say it falls under their anti-idling law. New York is one of the worst. Good looking truck and I wish you the best. Take a peek at OOIDA also. They have alot of services for the O/O

Oh and I better not have to wait another month for a new post LOL

Be safe out there Chris

Anonymous said...

Good lord.. we need some updates already.

 
Site Meter