March 24, 2008

Day 1 of Orientation....

I flew into Phoenix,AZ yesterday evening and realized why I drive trucks and not fly airplanes. I have logged around 300 flights since I was born and flying was always fun and exciting. This trip was a whole different story and I realized that I need to have my feet planted on the ground at all times. I don't know if it's because I've gotten older and watched a lot more of those crash documentary's on TV or 9/11, but flying isn't for me anymore. Anyways, the flight was uneventful and smooth most of the way. It was cool to fly over Tahoe and realize how many mountains there are left for me to go snowmobiling next winter!

Orientation for Conway Truckload is 5 days and everyone from the west coast gets bussed in or flown in to Phoenix. The hotel is brand new which is very nice and with the exception of the Physical and driving test, everything is done in the Conference room. I'm only the 2nd class to be taught here in Phoenix so there are still some stuff to work out but the instructor dean is great and so far so good.

We filled out some paperwork and then was whisked away to the Clinic for a new health card and physical. From there we went to the Flying J and had lunch at the buffet and then over to the Conway LTL yard for a driving test. The loop is about 15-20 minutes long and varies between interstate driving and numerous turns in the city. All I have to say is that I have to get used to the 13spd tranny. I've only driven 10 speeds since I've had my CDL and it's whole 'nother ball game.

Conway has a fleet of 3 year old and newer Kenworth T600's and T2000's (pictured above). The T2000's are for Trainers and drivers who have driven more than a million miles. They are also adding KW T660's which are a newer version of the T600 and Freightliner Cascadia's for the teams. Eventually the trucks will all be white instead of the current red.

The T600's are real small inside. I'm used to the storage and room of a Freightliner but this truck is teeny inside. It doesn't have a lot of storage which is a minus and the layout is a bit weird but I will get used to it. The seat does go back pretty far which is good for me and overall, I'm excited to get into a truck and start rolling.


I found out today that the 4 of us in class will be given 2 rental cars and be told to go to El Paso, TX or Joplin, MO (1200 miles) to a terminal to pick up our trucks. There are currently no trucks except for one orientation truck in Phoenix which is a shocker but I'll be fine.

I'll be back tomorrow with another update

Trucker Chris

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go man, keep us posted on how things are going. talk to you soon,

Bryan

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your 1st day was good for the most part! Hopefully the week will go by fast and you will be in your new truck very soon :)
Stay safe and have fun BP!

 
Site Meter