March 30, 2008

So much for driving a 18 wheeler....

No, I'm not driving a 10 wheel dump truck, I'm driving a 10 wheel 18 wheeler... Sounds wierd, but CFI along with a bunch of other companies are now running "Super Singles" in which 1 tire takes the place of two. For example, instead of my tractor having 10 tire/wheels it only has 6 and my trailer only has 4 instead of 8. It saves weight since your eliminating the extra weight from wheels are tires. I've heard good and bad, so I'll have to make a decision for myself.

We rolled into the Lancaster (dallas) Texas terminal yesterday after renting a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix and driving out from Phoenix. The ride was nice, especially because of the 80mph speed limit... We were FLYING! I drove the whole way while gary, who I had orientation with told me about his 1 million miles of safe driving... It's almost as if he told me them 1 mile at a time... He never shut up! haha.

I was assigned at 2006 Kenworth T600 with a Cummins ISX and 13spd tranny. I can compare this truck to a BMW and the freightliner I drove at Gordon to a Honda. This truck is NICE!!!

I was lucky enough to get a short load going to Conroe, TX (200 miles) delivering at 5am tomorrow morning and then the last drop in Houston (40 miles) at 8am. It's not the longest run but it let me get used to how the truck handles and how it shifts. I have lots more to learn but this is a start!






These are Super Singles.



The front wheels are coated with the "Dura Brite" Finish which will make them shine as if they were polished with just some water. The rears and tanks on the other hand are going to take some work to get all shiny...




Real nice newer style dash...



mmm, 13 speed mmm...



Trucker Chris signing out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! You're finally moved into your new home :) Stay safe and come home soon!

 
Site Meter